A CHP plant that runs with gas has a capacity of 50 MW and itoperates 7000 hours throughout the year. It has an electrical andheat efficiency of 35% and 45%, respectively. So CHP plant’s totalefficiency is 80%.
Apply the “energy content”, “exergy content” and “fuels forheat” allocation approaches to allocate the total gas input toelectricity and heat generation.
According to which approach does the plant require the most gasto produce electricity?
Tip: as a first step, estimate the total gas input to the CHPplant, (i) by estimating the total plant output (capacity *operating hours) and (ii) dividing that total by the totalefficiency of the plant. As a second step, estimate the totalelectricity and heat output of the CHP plant based on theelectrical and heat efficiencies.